History of Liberty First Christian Church
Our first church was completed in the 1850s after a revival sparked interest. At the time, it was the only church in Liberty and was shared by other religious groups. Circuit riders filled the pulpit, and baptisms were in the Green River. The first church was a small frame building that was later destroyed by fire. In 1903, the church dedicated its second building; a frame structure painted white. As the church membership grew, a baptistery and four Sunday school classrooms were added in 1923. This building served the congregation until 1950. A beautiful Bedford stone church was dedicated in 1951. Sadly, this structure was struck by lightning in 1990 and was destroyed by the resulting fire. A sprawling brick structure was built in its place in 1992.
Preamble to the Design for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
“As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world. In Christ’s name, and by his grace, we accept our mission of witness and service to all people. We rejoice in God, maker of heaven and earth, and in the covenant of love which binds us to God and one another. Through baptism into Christ we enter into newness of life and are made one with the whole people of God. In the communion of the Holy Spirit we are joined together in discipleship and in obedience to Christ. At the table of the Lord we celebrate with thanksgiving the saving acts and presence of Christ. Within the universal church we receive the gift of ministry and the light of scripture. In the bonds of Christian faith we yield ourselves to God that we may serve the One whose kingdom has no end. Blessing, glory and honor be to God forever. Amen.”